What are the Different Types of Bathroom Taps? A Full Guide to Mixers
Bathroom Mixer Taps
When it comes to designing a bathroom that reflects your personal style and preferences, every detail matters. One often overlooked but crucial element is the choice of bathroom taps. Mixer taps, in particular, are versatile and practical fixtures that can enhance the functionality and aesthetics of your bathroom.
From monobloc taps to freestanding, we have many designs to choose from in our beautiful range of bathroom mixer taps. In this guide, we'll explore the different types and styles, helping you make an informed choice that complements your bathroom's design and elevates your daily routine.
What is a mixer tap?
A mixer tap is a type of tap that blends hot and cold water to provide a single, adjustable stream of water at the desired temperature. These taps have twin-handles or one lever for hot and cold water, allowing the user to control both the flow rate and the temperature of the water.
Include an image of a mixer tap using alt text: ‘Bathroom mixer tap with one lever’ for example.
What are some benefits of a mixer tap in your bathroom?
Choosing a mixer tap for your bathroom comes with several compelling reasons, making it a practical and stylish choice. Here are the key benefits of opting for a mixer tap in your bathroom:
1. Precise Temperature Control: Mixer taps allow you to blend hot and cold water streams to achieve the exact temperature you want. This precise control ensures maximum comfort, with no sudden changes in water temperature.
2. Water Conservation: Mixer taps promote water conservation by enabling users to quickly find the desired temperature without wasting water. Adjusting the hot and cold supplies separately can help you avoid running the tap longer than necessary to achieve the right temperature.
3. User-Friendly Operation: Mixer taps typically feature a single lever or handle that controls both temperature and flow. This user-friendly design simplifies operation, making it easy for people of all ages to use. With separate taps it can also take longer to get the temperature right, making your self-care routine into a chore and less enjoyable.
4. Space-Saving: Some mixer taps, such as wall-mounted or Monobloc designs, can save space and create a cleaner, uncluttered look in your bathroom. This can be particularly advantageous in smaller or minimalist-style spaces.
5. Aesthetic Appeal: Mixer taps are available in a wide range of styles, finishes, and designs, allowing you to choose one that complements your bathroom decor. Some have a sharp, sleek appearance whilst others are curved into an arch shape, creating a classic and elegant look.
6. Modern Appearance: The streamlined look of a single mixer tap is a preferred choice to having separate taps for hot and cold water. Mixer taps often exude a modern and sleek appearance making them well-suited for contemporary design themes.
7. Versatility: Mixer taps can be used for your bath or bathroom basin, or both! You can make it even more versatile by adding a two or three way shower mixer tap to your shower. The choice is yours.
In summary, mixer taps offer precise control, water efficiency, ease of use, and aesthetic versatility, making them a popular choice for both functional and decorative purposes. Whilst renovating your bathroom, choosing a mixer tap can enhance both the style and functionality of your space.
Types of mixer taps in your bathroom
At 34 St John we have a wide range of mixer taps available, including basin mixer taps, bath mixer taps and two or three-way shower mixer taps. They are also available in a variety of styles - from monobloc taps to free-standing mixer taps. The different types of mixer taps include:
1. Monobloc Mixer Taps for Your Basin or Countertop
Starting with the simple and elegant Monobloc mixer tap. Characterised by its single-hole installation design, Monobloc taps require only one hole in the basin or countertop for installation. This streamlined appearance not only adds a touch of modernity but also simplifies cleaning and maintenance.
Monobloc mixer taps are typically crafted from premium materials such as solid brass or stainless steel. This ensures durability and resistance to corrosion, making them a reliable choice for long-term use. Furthermore, these taps come in a variety of finishes, including chrome, brushed brass, brushed steel and matte black, allowing you to choose the one that complements your bathroom's style.
This user-friendly design not only simplifies operation but also adds a touch of sophistication to your bathroom. Monobloc mixer taps are ideal for those who appreciate a minimalist and contemporary aesthetic.
Find all you need to know about Monobloc taps here.
2. Wall-Mounted Mixer Taps for Your Basin or Bath
Wall-mounted mixer taps are the epitome of minimalistic luxury. These taps are installed directly on the wall, creating a clean and uncluttered look in your bathroom. One of their primary advantages is the efficient use of space, as they don't require deck or basin-mounted installation.
The spout length of wall-mounted mixer taps can vary, allowing you to choose the one that best suits your basin or bath size. These taps feature a single lever for water control, maintaining the minimalist aesthetic. Wall-mounted mixer taps are perfect for creating a contemporary and space-efficient bathroom design.
3. Freestanding Mixer Taps for Your Bath
For those seeking an artistic and sculptural touch in their bathroom design, freestanding mixer taps are a captivating option. These taps are a visual masterpiece, featuring a tall and freestanding design that commands attention. They often serve as the centrepiece of a bathroom, particularly when paired with freestanding bathtubs or vessel sinks, creating a stunning visual centrepiece in your bathroom.
Freestanding mixer taps come in a variety of shapes and styles, from sleek and contemporary to ornate and vintage-inspired. Their design possibilities are virtually endless, making them suitable for a wide range of bathroom themes.
One of the advantages of freestanding mixer taps is their flexibility in placement. They don't require wall or deck mounting, offering greater freedom in positioning within the bathroom space. This flexibility allows you to create a bathroom layout that emphasises both aesthetics and functionality.
4. Deck-Mounted Mixer Taps for Your Countertop
For those who appreciate classic charm and versatility, deck-mounted mixer taps are an excellent choice. These taps are installed directly onto the bathroom countertop or sink deck, offering a wide range of design possibilities. They come in various styles, including the widespread design with separate hot and cold handles or the single-hole design with a single lever.
Deck-mounted mixer taps are available in an array of finishes, from polished nickel to oil-rubbed bronze, allowing you to customise your tap to match your bathroom's character. They are known for their timeless elegance and adaptability, making them suitable for both traditional and contemporary bathroom themes.
5. Floor-Mounted Mixer Taps for Your Bath
Floor-mounted mixer taps are the epitome of bathroom luxury, featuring a tall, freestanding design that pairs exquisitely with deep soaking tubs, creating a stunning focal point. They offer a range of finishes, from timeless chrome to modern matte black, and provide precise control with a single lever. These taps transform your bathroom into a luxury haven, making a bold design statement that elevates every bath or shower experience.
6. Shower Mixer Taps for Your Shower
Shower mixer taps are essential for shower installations, ensuring a steady and comfortable water flow by blending hot and cold water. They prioritise safety with built-in thermostatic valves to prevent scalding, making them ideal for households with varying water pressure.
Available in various styles and finishes, including wall-mounted and concealed options, they provide both functionality and style. Efficient and water-saving, shower mixer taps offer a controlled and consistent shower experience, enhancing both comfort and eco-friendliness in your bathroom.
Different styles of waterflow for your basin or bath mixer taps
Different styles of water flow for basin or bath mixer taps provide unique experiences and aesthetics. Here are some different styles of waterflow for mixer taps:
Waterfall Mixer Taps
These taps create a striking visual and sensory experience with their cascading water flow that mimics the gentle flow of a waterfall. They offer a serene and elegant ambiance to your bathroom, turning each use into a tranquil moment of relaxation.
Aerator Mixer Taps
Mixer taps equipped with aerators mix air with water, creating a softer, more diffused flow. This type of flow is efficient in conserving water while maintaining adequate pressure, making it ideal for eco-conscious individuals.
High-Rise Basin Mixer Taps
High-rise basin mixer taps feature an elevated spout that provides ample clearance beneath. This design is ideal for larger basins or countertop sinks, as it ensures that you can easily wash your hands or fill tall containers without splashing. They add a sense of grandeur and convenience to your bathroom.
Cloakroom Basin Mixer Taps
Designed with compact spaces in mind, cloakroom basin mixer taps have a more modest and low-profile spout. These taps are perfect for smaller basins or cloakroom sinks, where space is limited. They maintain a clean and unobtrusive appearance while offering practical functionality in confined areas.
Adjustable Flow Mixer Taps
Some mixer taps come with adjustable flow settings, allowing you to switch between different flow patterns based on your needs. This versatility can be particularly handy in various bathroom tasks.
Mixer tap finishes
Chrome has traditionally been the preferred finish for bathroom taps, and this trend extends to basin mixers as well. Over recent years, metallic finishes are becoming increasingly popular in bathrooms such as brushed steel, brushed brass and even matte black. Metallic finishes allow you to introduce accent colours into your bathroom interior decor. Each metallic finish provides an individual look, this list might help you decide on which mixer tap finish to choose from:
- Offers a sleek and contemporary appearance.
- Provides a matte finish with subtle texture.
- Resistant to fingerprints and water spots.
- Add a modern touch to your bathroom.
Brushed steel is best suited for those looking for a modern and contemporary appearance in their bathroom.
- Classic and timeless finish.
- Shiny and highly reflective surface.
- Easy to clean and maintain.
- Complements a wide range of design styles.
Chrome is a perfect choice for those looking for a classic feel in their bathroom, that suits a wide range of interior and is easy to maintain.
- Radiates a warm, luxurious, and vintage charm.
- Features a brushed or satin finish that reduces shine.
- Adds a touch of elegance and sophistication.
- Ideal for creating a retro or eclectic ambiance.
If you’re looking for something elegant and sophisticated, brushed brass is the one for you. Brushed brass creates a vintage but luxurious feel to a bathroom.
- Emits a bold and dramatic statement.
- Offers a non-reflective, velvety surface.
- Trendy and contemporary choice.
- Contrasts beautifully with light-coloured surroundings.
If you’re looking for a bold, dramatic statement that contrasts with the interior, then Matte black might be the chosen one. Matte black is trendy and creates a beautiful contrast to the surroundings.
- Modern and sophisticated look.
- Durable and corrosion-resistant.
- Conceals fingerprints and water spots.
- Versatile, suits various design styles.
- Timeless and classic charm.
- High-shine, reflective surface.
- May develop a charming patina over time.
- Perfect for vintage and traditional aesthetics.
- Sleek and contemporary appearance.
- Highly durable and resistant to corrosion.
- Easy to clean and maintain.
- Compatible with various color palettes and styles.
These are the most popular examples of mixer tap finishes, and there are other options available to suit various design preferences and styles. Others include copper, gold or white. The choice of finish can significantly impact the overall look and feel of your bathroom, so it is important to select one that aligns with your desired aesthetic.
What else do I need to know and consider when buying a mixer tap?
When purchasing a mixer tap, there are several essential factors to consider to ensure that it meets your specific needs and seamlessly integrates into your beautiful bathroom. These include:
- Pressure Capacity: Check the tap's compatibility with your water pressure system. Some mixer taps require higher water pressure for optimal performance, while others are designed to work well with low-pressure systems.
- Base Diameter: Measure the diameter of the tap's base to ensure it fits securely onto your basin or sink. A proper fit prevents water leakage and provides stability.
- Weight: Consider the weight of the tap, especially if you're installing it on a fragile or delicate surface. Heavier taps may require additional support.
- Spout Projection: Determine the spout's projection, which indicates how far the water will reach from the tap. Ensure it aligns with the depth and size of your basin or sink to prevent splashing.
- Size: Confirm the overall size of the mixer tap to ensure it fits comfortably within the available space and complements the surrounding fixtures and accessories.
- Finish: As previously mentioned, choose a finish that harmonises with your bathroom or decor. The finish affects both aesthetics and maintenance, so consider both.
- Handles or Levers: Consider the number and design of handles or levers. Some mixer taps have single levers for both hot and cold water, while others feature separate handles for a traditional look.
- Functionality: Think about the tap's functionality. Some mixer taps offer additional features such as pull-out spray heads, swivelling spouts, or integrated water filters.
- Installation: Check if the tap requires a single-hole or multiple-hole installation. Ensure it aligns with your existing plumbing and countertop or basin design.
- Budget: Set a budget that accounts for not only the tap's purchase price but also any additional installation or plumbing costs.
By carefully considering these factors, you can select the perfect mixer tap that not only meets your functional requirements but also complements your overall design vision and ensures long-term satisfaction with your choice.
We hope our guide has helped you to understand all there is to know about bathroom mixer taps. We know the choices available are expansive but the choice of bathroom mixer tap can significantly impact your bathroom's functionality and aesthetics.
Ultimately, the choice of mixer tap depends on your personal style, bathroom design, and functional requirements. Whether you prefer modern simplicity or classic sophistication, there's a bathroom mixer tap that can elevate your daily routine and transform your bathroom into a luxury sanctuary. You can shop our beautiful range of mixer taps and bathroom taps here.
If you are looking for more inspiration for your bathroom design or functionality, read our following blogs: